Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The house of the Future?


I'm really starting to wonder if this is reality or not. If solar technology is close this could be a huge transition. The thought of trading power off the grid is bigger than just your house. What could be the ROI on buying 100 of these solar panels. Energy is the next bubble. Hopefully it is the real deal, and energy independence puts the US back on the map as a world leader. The cost of 10 solar panels, and a windmill is a little salty(45 k for a 2000 sq ft home). It comes out to be around a 10 year payback. I like to get my money back on improvements or aquisitions in 3 ears or less. It isn't cost effective unless the price of the technology comes down, or as I fear prices of energy skyrocket. I wonder if the lobby money of the oil companies, and huge utility monopolies can keep this under wraps for another 20 years or so. I'd love to own this home, although I'm not quite ready for an electric car. There is something about the power of combustion engines running on high octane fuel. Although if I didn't have to worry about fuel costs because I can charge my car for FREE?! I might learn to live with it.

It seems this is the wave of the future. I'm not sure if the technology is real or not. It certainly isn't cost effective. If it becomes the real deal it will create a lot of infastructure changes, which will be a huge stimulus for the economy. I think it will be a good idea to become an energy auditer/ home inspector. It wouldn't hurt to learn how to install solar panels, and windmills.

As a rental property owner this excites me, and scares the you know what out of me as well. I am very frightened of increased energy costs, and the costs of improvements to convert. The thought of not having to pay much to power my buildings. That is around a 15 to 20% reduction in operating costs. It will be interesting to see how the government tries to control this process, or if big brother rolls over to the deep pockets of the utilities, and oil companies.
We will find out a lot about ourselves, both personally, and as a nation the next decade. I do think our economy is headed for the beating of our lifetime the next 10 years. That house looks great. I wonder if anyone can afford it???

2 comments:

  1. Instead of solar OR wind how about both? Seems a wind turbine that costs 12-18k and delivers 90% of a house's energy COMBINED with solar makes for not only more energy but more reliable energy, too. When the sun is shining the wind doesn't blow. When it is stormy the sun doesn't shine. That was one of the knocks on solar--it isn't reliable from that standpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Checked a bit and it doesn't look like there is enough wind in PA. Plus, the higher your tower, the better the wind. All the municipalities have height restricions. I think it would be difficult to get a 50 foot tower for your wind turbine.

    ReplyDelete